Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Love Quilts!


When I was a little girl, my Mother sewed our clothes at home and used to frequent fabric stores with me in tow. How I used to hate fabric shopping! I would get a headache and plead with her to go home. And now, look at me! I am addicted to fabric and buy it like she did, until I have way too much.
I was thinking today about how much I love quilts made from beautiful fabric, and I love the way it feels to snuggle up under a large, soft quilt and read stories to my little girl and how much she loves it, too. My two kids fight over our quilts and we always keep two or three on the couch. Then I started realizing that I have a bit of a quilt collection. I have made a few (badly!) and I have acquired a few beauties along the way.


This one is a new cherished possession and a favorite - my mother made it for my daughter last year and it is big! It's pink with butterfly fabric and even has appliqued butterflies along the edge. My daughter loves having it on her bed. It has free motion quilting throughout and looks so cute in her room.

This one was recently made for me by my husband's Aunt. As soon as I met her, we hit it off (she's a crafter!) and now we're Facebook friends. She's a new quilter and very skilled! Look how beautiful it is. I asked for a colorful quilt. :)

This one I got when my son was little. It is well loved and stained, but a favorite.

This is my favorite quilt - another hack job of mine - but I just love the colors and patterns. It's super soft and a lap quilt.

These quilts I made - some are very small and one fits my son's bed.


This quilt I bought at an antique store - it is huge, soft and beautiful! I love it!
The scary thing is that these quilts only scratch the surface - I have about six or eight more that I have bought or have been given to me from Grandmothers and great Grandmothers! And some I have bought at craft fairs. I think I have a problem! :)

11 comments:

Lisa-Maladylis said...

I might have to come over and take a few just to help you with this terrible addiction you have. Step away from the quilts, step away !

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I think you are very blessed! I love quilts, too and don't think you can have too many! I have 'quilt' written on a wish list! Love the colors and variety of your quilts! What treasures! ♥

Anonymous said...

Laurie - I am kinda surprised that you have that many quilts! And don't forget that one that your g-g-grandma(?) made. While looking at our catalog of family photos on the computer, the ones with the quilts are very colorful and fun to look at.

Elyse said...

hi laurie!

your quilts are wonderful! i always love your cheerful bright fabrics.

xo
elyse

XUE said...

Quilt collection problem - that's a great type of problem (next to fabric collection headaches). Happy Mooncake Fest, Laurie. Today we celebrate this & also mid-autumn. Have a wonderful weekend!

Scrap for Joy said...

Hi Laurie~
I loved seeing your quilt collection. The colors are wonderfully happy and bright...just like your personality! The butterfly quilt that your Mom made is a treasure! I collect quilts too, but have never made one myself. The colors in my collection are much more subdued than yours...I like them both equally.
Thanks for letting us peek!
xoxo
Joyce

deb said...

I was immediately drawn to your blog when I saw the first quilt picture, Laurie. They're all so beautiful and I love hearing how your kids enjoy them too and want them on the couch. Remember that first quilt I made a few years ago? I still need to "quilt" it together but I loved the fabric. I need to do that soon. So happy to hear from you. :)

Pieceful Bits said...

Beautiful!! I love quilts too. Yours are so vibrant in colors and makes me happy just viewing them.
Have a great week, Laurie.
(~~)
Julie

Dawn Gallop🐝 said...

WoW!! Beautiful quilts and I love the colors!! Awesome!! Congrats on the DT. Dawn

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

I think I'm a gonna raid your quilt stash. :) xoxo

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have kept your post open on my computer for a few days...looking at your quilts over and over again. I don't want to ask something that sounds weird...but do you have any suggestions on where I could buy a quilt? I am drawn to yours with all of the cheerful colors so I thought I would ask you! Thanks! Have a wonderful week! ♥